It’s hard to remember that Fifth Avenue, opposite Central Park, was once lined entirely by the faux chateaux of New York’s wealthy.
Most of those buildings have long since given way to apartment houses. But a number still stand – sandwiched between taller buildings – and among these, one of the loveliest, No. 934, has belonged to the French government for the past 70 years.
When built in 1925-26, No. 934 stood mid-block, one of half a dozen houses:
Today, by contrast, it sits scrunched between tall apartment buildings – a relic of another time: