Listed below are some of the resources mentioned on the tour, together with links to the relevant web sites, or, in the case of books, to amazon.com:
Landmarks Preservation Commission designation reports on the Woolworth Building
On the subject of the “world’s tallest building” competition
Gale Fenske’s work
- Book: The Skyscraper and the City: The Woolworth Building and the Making of Modern New York (University Of Chicago Press, 2008)
Barbara Christen’s work
- Cass Gilbert, Life and Work: Architect of the Public Domain (W.W. Norton, 2001) (chapter on the Woolworth Building is by Gale Fenske).
Skyscraper Museum exhibition
New York Public Library
The new Woolworth Tower condominium project
- Website for the “Woolworth Tower” condominiums
- A First Look at the Woolworth Tower’s New Apartments
- The Big OH: Opening the doors to the new Woolworth Tower Residences
- A new look inside the Woolworth: The developer just revealed new model units
- Historic Woolworth Building penthouse sets Manhattan real estate record with $110million listing
On the saga of the last New York complex to claim the title of “World’s Tallest Building”
“The Truth About Art: Reclaiming Quality”
- The book by Dr. Patrick Doorly that imagines (gasp!) beauty as somehow important in the visual arts…
For still more on the Woolworth Building, see the blog entry.
Finally, one participant sent the following!